Shawarma is a Middle Eastern cuisine but it made its way into the international fast food scene all over the world. Its less spicy version Gyro (Greek) is very popular too. I am not a huge red meat lover but shawarma is something that I enjoy so much that I learned all its ins and outs over the course of years. Now I can make myself great shawarma at home with the rotisserie grill as good as the ones that are sold at the stores.
If you’re grilling on concrete flooring, be sure to choose the best grill mat for concrete patio for use under your grill.
Top Choices: Rotisserie Grill for Shawarma
Wonderper Vertical Rotisserie Oven Countertop Shawarma Machine
- Small Rotisserie Oven / Vertical Rotisserie, Home Use Only, Not For...
- Weight: 5.7pounds; Size: 9.8x9.8x14.2inches; Food Room: 7.00x7.00x7.8inches
- Power: 1100W; Voltage: 110V-120V/60Hz; Plug: USA Standard Plug; Power Cord:...
- Enjoy Rotisserie Chicken & Oven Roasted Chicken With More Convenient &...
- Also For Kebab, Shawarma, Gyros, Tacos Al Pastor, Vegetables, Hot dogs,...
Although this witty rotisserie oven looks like it is made special for Middle-Eastern restaurants, its whole purpose is for home use only. Having said that; you can make any kind of skewer kebab (shish kebab), shawarma, gyro, doner, and tacos al pastor completely at the professional level. I love the fact that it is designed traditionally vertical; cutting the meat is much easier and efficient this way.
I was really impressed when I made my first shawarma with it. It does a very good job and works flawlessly. You need to have some basic knowledge about how to prepare the meat; I included all the necessary details below with the recipe for your information. Note that it takes around 1 hour until the meat is ready for the first cut. After that you can slice another layer in 15 to 20 minutes. If there is any more meat left on the spit then you will have to wait for another 15 minutes or so.
It says you can make as big as 10 pounds in the manual, but I make around 4 -5 pounds (1800 gr) of shawarma, and I think it is the perfect fit for this rotisserie oven grill. Chicken shish kebabs also come out extremely delicious, especially if you spice them up as I do.
In general, shawarma should not be rotated continuously like a whole chicken and rather be turned in steps. The original vertical design allows you to turn it whenever you feel the meat is ready. However, we are cooking a very small size shawarma at home compared to the street sellers, and the automatic rotator makes it perfect to cook it thoroughly. You plug it in and it just starts rotating. If you apply force to the shawarma or the skewers, then it starts to turn in the opposite direction.
Assembling is super easy, and it does not take much space in the kitchen. The detachable stainless-steel parts are great for cleaning. Although you can also cook whole chicken with this oven, I think it works better with skewers and shawarma. If you are looking for something to cook whole chicken, then check out this outstanding oven.
However, if you are looking for the real deal shawarma, then I suggest you go with the Wonderper rotisserie oven. There are some other models with glass covers, but a real shawarma is made with no window or top since the direct heat from one side and the open air from the front adds a certain level of chewiness to the meat. Otherwise, the meat gets too soft while cooking and that is not a true shawarma at all.
Remember, you can also make gyros. Prepare some tzatziki and get fresh pitas to turn it into a Greek night.
- 8 x 9.8 14.2 inches
- Weighs 7.56 pounds
- 1100 W – 110V- 120V/60Hz
Package includes: 1 cog-central spit, 1 retaining bracket, 1 fat collecting tray, 1 central spit with the plate, 6 pieces of skewers in addition to the grill and the manual.
Best Shawarma Recipe to Cook on Rotisserie Grill
Traditional shawarma calls for beef and lamb meat but you can use pork or chicken if you like; just replace the meats in the recipe with the same amounts. You can also be creative and add flavors you like depending on your preference. The following recipe is in the traditional style and contains lam meat. If you can’t find that locally, then use any type you want.
- 2 pounds of rib steak
- 2 pounds of lamb meat (leg or loin)
- 1 pound of ground beef with 10% fat (sirloin suggested)
- 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 10 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon
- 2 large onions – grated
- 1 large white onion – grated
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- ¼ teaspoon of cardamom (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of ground red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cut the rib steaks and the lamb meat into 2-3 inches of chunks.
- Add the grated onions, yogurt, lemon juice and the olive oil in a large bowl.
- Blend them well until all is incorporated.
- Put the cut rib steaks and lamb meat into the mixture.
- Make sure the steaks absorb the sauce well.
- Get another bowl and add the ground beef, grated white onion, salt and pepper.
- Mix them by your hands as if you were kneading dough.
- Once everything is blended well then get a aluminum foil or stretch wrap, and make a rectangular shape on the counter in the size of a regular oven tray (12 x 10 inches – 30cm x 25 cm).
- Place one layer of rib steaks on the foil, and then add a layer of ground beef as thin as you can.
- Add a layer of lamb meat afterwards.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 until all the meat is layered.
- Roll the meat into a cylinder with the help of the foil.
- Put the meat into the freezer for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, take out the meat from the freezer.
- Take off the foil or stretch wrap.
- Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes or until you can insert the spit.
- Plugin the Wonderper rotisserie grill.
- Insert the spit into the meat and hook it in the oven.
- Start slicing after 60 minutes or until the meat is cooked. After that you can slice another layer in 15 to 20 minutes and repeat till all meat is cooked.
Traditional Doner / Shawarma
Quick Tzatziki (Cacık) Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup of grated cucumbers (Don’t peel)
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons of virgin olive oil (use the best one)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint
- Add salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a small cup. Spread this sauce over the cooked shawarma meat.
If you are a fan of shish kebab skewers and shawarma, then you can prepare yourself festive meals at home with the help of Wonderper rotisserie oven. It resembles the traditional broilers that street sellers use in the Middle East and Greece. However, it is not just the looks; this grill oven cooks perfect meat with the automatic rotator and special-made heating elements. The design will impress your guests, and if you follow the recipe above, then you will also get to prepare them a feast.